Friday, July 1, 2011

Sculpture, Ceramics, and Installation Blog

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
For each video, I believe there were more in depth details about each of the different artists and how the do their work.
Through the eyes of the sculptor you really get to see the whole process of how a sculpture is created. Starting first with a drawing to plan out the sculpture, then created the sculpture with clay, then silicon impression, then plaster, and finally to the marble. It is really a fascinating process as we go to witness from Emmanuel Fillion. It was different to actually see it rather than just to read about it. Glass and Ceramics was interesting, and it caught my attention in our book as well, that it was created merely by accident with a mixture of sand and nitron, just to think that such a beautiful piece such as glass can be created from sand is extraordinary. From the video it was fascinating to see the glass blowing done, and they make it look fairly easy. The fact that it can take on many designs, shapes, and colors, is what is appealing in my opinion. Ceramics on the other hand seems tedious, I do however like the way it looks such as china and vases. I also did not know that things such as hip replacements and false teeth were made of ceramic. Installation art seems difficult in my opinion, which I think takes a very talented and creative person to create such a work of art, as it relies on the site in which it is created. The video was interesting to see the reasons why the artists chose to do their pieces the way they did such as Richard Wilsons 2050. I also found it interesting that the use of video and music could also be considered an installation art. Overall the purpose of these works is to engage the viewer into a world in which the artist have created.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? I feel like questions 2 and 3 are asking of similar things. So I will combine the two. The readings helped to understand the basic process of these techniques which gave me a basic idea of how it was done. However I believe that the videos allowed for me to witness and actually understand these process, how they evolve the work or art, and then to see the finish product.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?
See question #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment