Friday, July 1, 2011

Architecture Blog

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned. Again I believe questions 1 -3 can be combined. I chose Architecture as Art and The Science of design. Again, I feel as though the book gives a basic understanding of the art itself, but to hear it from the artists point of view gives you another world of understanding. The creation of skyscrapers in The Science of design video was interesting to learn how the effects of weather can have a bearing on the design of the structure. It’s kind of scary to think that these massive buildings actually sway when the wind blows. From the readings it again gave a basic understanding of how reinforced concrete was used in skyscrapers and also used a shell for other structures. I also found it interesting to know how they create the tunnels which go under the large bodies of water with reinforced concrete. When I was traveling to Virginia I went through one f those and I was fascinated knowing the whole ocean was above me. Knowing this is made possible through concrete seems almost unbelievable. From the other video, Ghery Architecture as Art I found it interesting the types of structures that this man had created, some whacky, some traditional, but most impressive was the fact that he really tried to get intune with the human emotion through his buildings. By doing this I really felt that this was the ingredient that made his work so appealing, which made him to be a preferred architect. It is interesting how different materials can be used on building to create such odd shapes, and the effect that natural light can have on the appearance of these buildings. However I learned that the use of recent technologies such as computer design and digital models have assisted in the creation of these glorious buildings,

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? See question 1
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture? See question 1
4. From the group of four that you had a choice: Why did you choose that film? I chose this video because I like to learn about peoples experiences which made this film jump out at me. Seeing an artists feelings, background, blood and sweat that is put into their work is what gives it its purpose(in my opinion), therefore even if through a film, makes me appreciate the art that much more by watching and learning about the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment